Thursday 11 March 2010

Vetro at the Montcalm hotel in London

Went to have dinner and a catch up with my friend Mrs T on Tuesday. We booked a 50% off the a la carte menu (on http://www.toptable.com/) at Vetro which is inside the newly refurbished Montcalm hotel http://www.montcalm.co.uk/

We started off in the bar for a drink before heading to the restaurant. First impressions were good -very stylish everywhere. The restaurant is modern Italian and we had a really interesting selection of little breadsticks served immediatley.




I opted for "Salad of beetroot, bitter leaves, chestnuts and gorgonzola dressing" which was OK but not very exciting whilst my friend went for the "Goat’s cheese and red pepper tart with red onion marmalade" which was the better choice.



I followed that with "Pan fried pork medallions with parmesan risotto, thyme and Pancetta" which was nicely cooked and my friend went carb free with the "Pan fried cod fillet with Jerusalem artichokes,sautéed spinach and garlic" .. which was probably a good idea since the desserts looked really good!





I had a really good "Fig and frangipane tart, lemon mascarpone". I was a little bit concerned that the lemon mascarpone would be to tangy but it was perfect - no complaints.. i think this was my favorite dish out of the meal. The other dessert was a Cannoli, "Chocolate, pistachio and candied fruit cream encased in pastry". My friend said it was OK but has had much better.





Our dinner with a bottle of wine (also including 2 cocktails in the bar prior to dinner) came to £55 per head incl service which is very good on the Toptable deal. I would however not go back if paying full price.

No comments:

Post a Comment