Monday 12 August 2013

Tom's Kitchen in Canary Wharf - 10th of August 2013

I quite like Mr Aiken's food and i was looking forward to try his "brasserie style" restaurant called Tom's Kitchen. http://www.tomskitchen.co.uk/canary-wharf
Sadly, we came away slightly disappointed and £250 lighter (dinner for 4). Yes, it is a brasserie - not fine dining but the portions were very inconsistent, food arrived too quickly and was not hot etc. Strange since there were only a handful of people in the restaurant.

I started with the "Piquillo Pepper Tartine - sourdough, goat's cheese and onion relish" which was a piece of sourdough with lots (and i mean lots) of caramellised red onion relish. I do love onions don't get me wrong but i had to really look for the peppers and the goat's cheese which were hidden amongst the leaves on top. It tasted perfectly fine but in the end of the day it was mostly bread and onions.

I then had one of the specials. "Pollock with ravioli filled with prawns, courgette puree and a lemon and butter sauce" The fish was unfortunately overcooked and the ravioli were a bit flavour less and the butter sauce was coagulated.

I did not have dessert by my friend had a lovely creme brulee with passionfruit. I tried it and it was tart and creamy at the same time - and a rather large portion. Our husbands both had Eton mess which came in rather small glasses.

I really wanted to like this restaurant but sadly i won't be rushing back in a hurry. The menu had a good mix of comfort food (burgers/shepherd's pie) and some more modern dishes so it would appeal to most. For me it was too expensive for the execution of the dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment